stress is so distracting

Good Morning! You may or may not have noticed that I skipped yesterday. I skipped everything yesterday. I just wanted to sit at home and have a lazyish morning, and so that's what I did! :) I did read yesterdays passage but didn't post about it.

As I sit here letting the passage I read today sink in, I'm looking around my living room and I'm almost overwhelmed by how much there is to do in this one room of my house. Sheesh. We have 26 days until we have to move. I've gotten a few boxes packed up, and they're ready to go out into our POD storage unit.... But there is so much more to do... And I'm having trouble figuring out a timeline. If I hit it hard core and PACK we wont have anything to live with in the house for the next 3 weeks. That won't work. And the place we are moving into temporarily isn't even ready to be lived in... So we are at the point of packing up all decorations around the house, emptying the attic, trying to condense toys so Avery has enough out to keep herself occupied but not make a huge mess. There's a lot to consider and it is driving me a little cray cray.

Not that it was a long drive. Just sayin.

So I guess the verse below applies to my morning. It was what they had planned for the lent reading plan. The verses have gotten better as the plan has gone on, thankfully. Not that I mind reading for 45 minutes before I find something to talk about. Just that... I mean... you know.

1 Peter 5:6-11
6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, 7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because[a] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may[b] the God of all grace, who called us[c] to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
I feel like we are bread to be stressed in our society. I went on a mission trip to Africa (almost 10 years ago. I can't even believe its been that long. Wow.) in September 2008. It was a really rough time in my life and I was trying to get back on the right track and refocus on God and about the only thing I felt like I was supposed to do was go on a mission trip. So I did. And it was amazing. They always say you'll have culture shock when you travel overseas or where ever because of how little people have, how different it is from America. What shocked me there was the lack of culture shock. Everyone had cell phones. Everyone had facebook. There were malls. There were restaurants. It was awesome, and I didn't want to come home. The main difference was the pace of life. There was no rush, ever, to do anything. It was just so relaxing and healing to my soul. Not to mention I developed a few really great friendships which have lasted over the past 10 years. It was about the best thing for me at that stage of my life.

Anyway, all that to say that when I was in Kenya it was very easy to cast all my cares on Jesus. Their culture almost made it hard not to. It was very freeing.

I wish that our culture here made it a little easier... or easy at all... to cast our cares on Him. We are trained or expected or whatever to be busy, all the time, with so many things. Here's something ironic. I borrowed a book called Crazy Busy from someone.. probably like 2 years ago..? I've never read it, because I've been too busy......! It's stupid! (It's still sitting here. I should just return it. I'm so bad at life. 😂)

If we are going to listen to this passage and let Him carry our burdens, alleviate our stress, we have to do it consciously. It doesn't come easy here. We will have to remind ourselves daily, if not more. So how do we do that? Any suggestions? Seriously, I'm really asking you. Leave a comment if you know.

The best answer I have is when there is something that can consume me with worry or anxiety, I try to just push it off and realize that it is not something I have control over, and focus on what I do have control of. (Daniel Tiger has great advice here...)

If you just watched that video, I'm sorry. #momlife #lolololol

But really though, taking a deep breath, counting to 4, singing daniel tiger in your head, (skip that last part, seriously.) And just refocusing on what you can actually do or handle or have an effect on, that is how I let Him carry my burdens.

My husband thinks I'm crazy. Things that stress him out, he will bring it to me to discuss, and I almost always say some form of this: Can you control it? Accept it and move on. Let God handle it. Focus on things you can do something about.

To revisit the verses above so you don't have to scroll back up.... 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because[a] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.

Jen's translation - Don't let the devil distract you, he's trying to find some way to destroy you. Resist him, have faith in Jesus, and know that you're not alone.

Stress man, stress and anxiety are so distracting. You're not alone. Find a way to let God carry those burdens for you. And if you want to go get coffee to dump some of that stress out, I am always up for coffee.

Love you guys, thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts