always learning

I have the dumb this morning. Good thing God tells me what to write here, because I cant do words yet today. 

And MAN am I sore this morning. I feel like I worked out yesterday (I didn't. I don't. Ever.) Whats funny is that I did like 7 loads of laundry and folded it all (YES I DID. BE IMPRESSED.) So apparently that counts as exercise because I am in some serious need of some tylenol. It's a good hurt because it means I adulted. (We've talked about this. Whoever decided I was an adult... well, let's just say I missed out on that discussion.)

So what are you all up to today? After I finish up here, I have to get Miss Avery ready and drive her 20 minutes (one way) to school (over it!! Is it summer yet?!) and then come home and be productive (packing. ick.) and then (here's the fun part!!!) I get to have lunch with my buddies!!! YAY! And then I'll have to come home and pack some more. This month is flying by and we have to be moved by the end of it. (Panic has not set in yet.) Today needs to be super productive. Madalene may have other plans though.

Speaking of plans. I read the daily lent reading plan thingy. Again, meh. Clicked around for a while and stumbled on this passage....:

Proverbs 9:7-12 (NKJV)
7 “He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself,
And he who rebukes a wicked man only harms himself.
8 Do not correct a scoffer, lest he hate you;
Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.
9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
Teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11 For by me your days will be multiplied,
And years of life will be added to you.
12 If you are wise, you are wise for yourself,
And if you scoff, you will bear it alone.”
Here it is in the NIV which makes a little more sense sometimes:
Proverbs 9:7-12
7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults;
    whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse.
8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
    rebuke the wise and they will love you.
9 Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still;
    teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
    and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
11 For through wisdom[b] your days will be many,
    and years will be added to your life.
12 If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you;
    if you are a mocker, you alone will suffer.
 I feel like so much of what I've read in the past few weeks is about persecution and mocking and people picking on Christians. Maybe I don't get out enough. I haven't experienced much of this in my comings and goings... This passage though, is relevant to everyone I think, Christian or otherwise.

When I read and reread this, I'm thinking of myself on either perspective. The one doing the correcting and then as the one receiving the correcting. As someone with a lot of management experience, I've corrected many people about many things. Thankfully almost all of the people I've had the privilege of supervising have taken what I've said and used it to better themselves, and improve their skills.

To get to the point where I was the one doing any correcting, I've also had to have a lot of training, and with that comes loads of constructive criticism. If you don't accept that and use it to expand your knowledge, you won't get very far in management or leadership.

How do you apply this outside of work though? Because I've been off work for almost a solid year. (Almost.) If I'm wise, won't I not only take instruction, but also seek it? Where is that? I mean, where do you find that, if you're not in a place where you're being instructed... I guess studying the Bible...? Probably going to church? Is there a secular version of this? Reading books? Reading blogs? Learning new things, even hobbies? I think to keep yourself sharp and wise you need to be always learning new things and being open to the wisdom of others in all areas.

The area I probably need the most guidance in right now is with finances. To be more specific, probably stewardship... Making the most of what God provides... We do ok, our needs are always met, and our bills are usually paid... but I'm in my 30's... Hubby is rounding 30's into 40's soon... We gotta learn to adult man! So I think I'll start seeking some knowledge in that area that I can wrap my head around and apply. We've done the Dave Ramsey thing, maybe I'll find a refresher and start to apply that. Does anyone else have a good resource there? Feel free to comment below with a link that I can check out.

Are you trying to learn new things, or are you stagnant? What area of your life could use some fresh knowledge? Do you have someone to learn from? Will you seek information or let it come to you? Food for thought.

Comments

Popular Posts